This is a remarkable project for your students!
(questions to be read by teacher or displayed on smartboard/beamer)
- What are your favourite singers / bands?
- Do you carefully listen to what they sing?
- What are the major themes discussed in the chart songs (top 40)?
- Is a songtext more than some words to a catchy tune? Explain.
- Write down as many types of music as you can.
Divide the class into groups of 4/5 and assign each a musicstyle.
- R & B
- Protest songs
- Disco / pop
- House music / Trance
- Metal / Rock
Off to the computer room:
- Look for info on your theme
- Divide the workload amongst yourselves
- Work everything out digitally
- Put everything together in a PowerPoint presentation
What should be in the PowerPoint presentation?
- A definition of the music style you investigated.
- Characteristics of the music style.
- Singers and bands who perform this style.
- Examples in songtexts which clarify.
- Your own song written in that style.
- An example on cd/youtube to be listened to.
- A songtext copy so the teacher can copy it beforehand.
- It should be at least 6-7 minutes long.
- It can either speak for itself or you can choose a presenter to make the comments.
- Your cooperation will be monitored by your teacher and marks may vary accordingly. (if someone doesn’t work hard his mark will be lower).